LevelSub Sub Fonds
ComputerRef No12981/1/2
Finding No705:1428 BA12981/3,8,14, b705:1428/4-7,9-13, f705:1428/15
TitleLambert and Wade of Malvern, Solicitors. Hornyold Family of Blackmore Park, Hanley Castle
DescriptionTitle deeds, accounts, valuations, maps, sale catalogues and other records
Date1833-1930s
AdminHistoryThe Hornyold family owned lands in Hanley Castle and elsewhere in Worcestershire from the 13th century. They purchased Blackmore Park in the 16th century and added other lands to their holdings over the next 250 years. They were a notable Roman Catholic family and several members became priests or nuns.

Thomas Charles Hornyold (1791-1858) inherited the estate from his father in 1814. Since his only son died at the age of 6, he was succeeded by his nephew John Vincent Gandolfi (1818- 1902) (son of his sister Teresa), Marquis and Count Gandolfi of the Genoese Republic, who assumed the name Hornyold in 1859. He was in turn succeeded by his son, Thomas Charles Gandolfi Hornyold (1846-1906) (Duke Gandolfi), who was created a Papal Duke by Pope Leo XIII in 1899. His son, Alfonso Otto (or Otho) Gandolfi Hornyold (1879-1937) (Duke Alfonso Gandolfi) was a zoologist and lived mostly abroad. It was during his lifetime that the estate was broken up and sold.

Soon after the sale in 1919 the house at Blackmore Park was destroyed by fire and never restored.
Related MaterialSee also 705:295 BA1751 for records of the Hornyold family of Blackmore Park, Hanley Castle
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019