LevelSub Fonds
ComputerRef No15088/1
Finding Nof899:694 BA15088
Acc No15088
TitleUnknown Source via Christies of London. Dormston Map
DescriptionManuscript map (c. 15.75" x 11.5") of part of the parish of Dormston: on paper. Ink and wash. No scale [c. 14 in. to the mile]. No surveyor or compass rose. Rudimentary decorative border. Buildings indicated sketchily, and some annotations with details of land ownership, indications of former routes of roads and mention of an area recently inclosed.
Datec1600
Extent1 item
AccessConditionsOpen immediately unless legal closure periods
AdminHistoryBears an endorsement that it was found by John Phillips in 1805 'in looking over one of the bundles of the title deeds in the Kington box'. Kington is an adjoining parish to Dormston and the manor belonged to the Vernon family of Hanbury Hall. This property came to Phillips in 1804 in right of his wife, the former Emma Vernon, heiress, who was famously divorced from Henry Cecil (later Marquess of Exeter) and had married Phillips, a solicitor, as her third husband in 1795.
The map was seen by the Worcestershire antiquary Peter Prattinton in 1826 when he copied it into his notes with the following caption 'Reduced from a very rude old map amongst the Kington title deeds at Hanbury Hall'. It had evidently been removed from the Hanbury Hall archive before it was donated to the Record Office in the 1970s.
Physical DescriptionSome staining, creases from folding and rubbing. Removed from later backing board by Moira Buick, Paper Conservator, in 2010. Watermark - undated but similar to known examples from early 1600s.
Thumbnail

Dormston 1(copy).jpg

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019